Friday, April 9, 2010

In Plain Sight 3x02 Review

I apologize for this being late and fairly short but as I said in the intro blog, school is my priority. School ends in less than a month though so in a few weeks I’ll have these things posted by Thursday afternoons, not Friday nights!

Anyway, off to my opinions on episode 3.02: When Mary Met Marshall…

Within the first few seconds I could notice that new cinematic feel that S3 has. They focused on the footsteps, had close-ups and strange angles instead of the scene just happening. I really liked it. It felt gritty.

Marshall seemed much cooler back in 2003. My first thought was, “What did Mary do to him?!?” He’s much more...laid back (I can’t think of the right word) than he was in 2003.

Again, they show part of the episode before the opening. Guess its always gonna be this way. Not a bad thing though.

It seemed as though the Witnesses of the Week were only there so we could learn about Mary and Marshall's first case together. The actual case/protection did not interest me. They were just catalysts for the real story of Mary and Marshall.

I have been very vocal about this but Mary, the hair is terrible. I laugh at it, but it hurts my eyes!!

Eleanor's absence was acknowleged in this episode. Turns out she accepted a job at the FBI as an analyst. Mary was shocked because "that's like a real job!" She then questioned if analysts get guns and Marshall said she better hope not since Eleanor isn't very forgiving, just like Mary.

For all the Psych-Os out there, did you hear Marshall's mention of "3 hole punched" paper? BWUAHAHAHAHA!! ;)

Mary says Stan should buy a top hat and monocle. The visual imagery of this makes me laugh.

Allison Janney was this week's big guest star. She plays Allison Pearson who is the newest Marshall for their district. Allison and Mary (the characters) do not get along at all. [Allison and Mary the actresses adore each other, however.] I know Allison will be back next week but I do not know if she will be back again later in the season. It'll be an interesting dynamic to watch.

Other quotes I found funny:
“They’ve already got a girl on this detail. You should see this guy." -2003 Mary about Marshall

"I do actually wonder whats wrong with you, but I don't actually want to know" -2003 Marshall
"That is the first smart thing you've said." -2003 Mary

"Who hunts for a living? Stay with her and sing Edelweiss!" -2003 Mary (Sound of Music references!)

"It's like a zombie movie except the scary part is that it never ends!!" -2010 Mary

Pretty much anything Mary said in 2003 was quote-worthy.


Now about Brandi for a minute. Brandi? What the hell are u doing? I like Peter so don’t make me come hurt you.
She asked Peter for $20,000 to pay for her community college tuition. Then when he comes over later, she admits that she's going back to New Jersey for a little while. First she lies, then she gives a vague, yet truthful, answer about why she really wants the money, and Peter gives it to her anyway? I still think this is going to turn out badly.

The end narration and showing how they originally set up their desks was such a cute way to end the episode. Mary says that she usually prides herself in "knowing when a relationship won't work...But sometimes its good to be wrong."
She is clearly talking about her partnership with Marshall and I find it adorable.


Sorry this blog isn't the greatest. Again, I'm still new to the blogging thing and I've also been very busy. If you have any suggestions on how to make it better, PLEASE let me know! :)


Til next week!


-Jenna

4 comments:

  1. How could you not mention the SONG? They have Rules and Stan is the Ref! I love it! "I'm right, you're wrong, that is why I sing this song." It's so juvenile and they don't seem to notice.

    Good review! I thought the Brandi part (of the show, not your review) was odd, but I guess they had to figure out SOME way to get her off the show for a bit so the actress can have her baby (and she REALLY looked preggers in this ep). I hope it's about their Dad and not about that ex-boyfriend of hers.

    I TOTALLY agree about Mary's 2003 hair. I'm so glad she got rid of those bangs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMcC's bangs gave me flashbacks to the WestWing times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMcC's bangs bring me back to West Wing days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is just fine the way it is Jenna.

    Your review of IPS is always something that I look forward to each week. I love your insights.

    ReplyDelete